Monday, March 26, 2012

Making old things, new again


Full disclosure, I really have been enjoying the new-ish trend of making old things cool again.  Refinished old-style furniture, throw back jerseys, gin cocktails, you name it.   I think it is because I am somewhat of a 1950s girl at heart.  This trend has subsequently trickled into my cooking style.  I love taking traditional, homestyle eats and transforming them (even if just slightly) to fit with the modern times.  I mean, who doesn’t love a bowl of mac & cheese?  Actually, if you don’t, refrain from telling me because we probably can’t be friends anymore.  But like other ladies out there, pasta and cheese has been my late-20s waistline nemesis.

I’ll highlight two of my favorite creations lately – recipes & comments below.  First, Lasagna Soup.  Definitely a Pinterest find.  And spectacular.  It’s perfect for a chilly day, and probably has half of the calories as casserole-based lasagna, but similar belly fulfillment.  The ricotta cheese drizzled on top truly makes this recipe.  And stirring in the pasta noodles gives that lasagna texture.  See, pasta and cheese – I have a problem.   Next, is fancied up Grilled Cheese.  This is really more of a fancy up a traditional meal than cut back on the calories.  But adding a few veggies, does make it a little bit healthier (right? right!)…and definitely makes it more like a full meal.  We just ate these for dinner tonight and could hardly finish 1 sandwich.

Oh, and I love Pinterest.  Like loooooove Pinterest.  If anyone needs a reason to join, I can give you 20.  I probably pitch the website better than their Sales team.  If you are interested in following me, below is my profile link.  As expected, I post an overwhelming amount of recipes.  But, also other fun things that I love about life.  My husband hates Pinterest.  Like haaaaates Pinterest.  Why, you ask?  Because every other day I show him something I ‘found’ that we need (not really) for the house, my wardrobe, in the kitchen, on our next vacation.  Ha.




Lasagna Soup

Ingredients:
for the soup:
·       2 tsp. olive oil
·       1-1/2 lbs. spicy Italian turkey sausage
·       3 c. chopped onions
·       4 garlic cloves, minced
·       2 tsp. dried oregano
·       1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
·       2 T. tomato paste
·       1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
·       2 bay leaves
·       6 c. chicken stock
·       8 oz. fusilli pasta (or any kind of chunky curly pasta like gemelli)
·       1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
·       salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cheesy yum:
·       8 oz. ricotta
·       1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
·       1/4 tsp. salt
·       pinch of freshly ground pepper
·       2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1.     Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color (that is what gets the bitterness out of the paste).
2.     Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3.     In a separate pot, cook the pasta until al dente.
4.     Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5.     In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
6.     To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.  Drop in a few noodles.

Fancy Grilled Cheese Sammie

Ingredients:
·       Good bread, sliced thin (I got an Italian loaf from my grocer’s bakery)
·       Fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (like the kind in caprese salad)
·       Extra sharp cheddar cheese, sliced thin
·       Avocado, sliced thick
·       Tomatoes, sliced think
·       Small pepperoni slices

Directions
1.     Heat a grill pan (or normal skillet) with a little butter on the bottom, so the sammie gets golden
2.     Arrange the sammie with all of the ingredients
3.     Cook evenly on both sides until golden brown.  We like to use a Panini press to condense all the flavors.
4.     Serve nice & toasty.  We dipped in store-bought tomato soup…yum

No comments:

Post a Comment